Sunday, December 17, 2006

Hamburger Is My Life...and the Big Echo is cool too.

Welp...the last of the American instructors (Marty) is leaving tomorrow...but they have definitely left their mark. I don't just mean on the band (though Aimachi is MUCH better than a few weeks ago).

It's pretty compareable to the Meiji Restoration (the start of Japan's industrial revolution).

Before the American instructors got here, Chris and I would do things like take bike rides, visit palaces, explore museums, harvest crops, etc etc. NOW...with the "introduction of the western world" we do things like...go to Mos Burger, sing karaoke, and go to spas.

Mos Burger is an incredible fast food joint that Chris and I enjoyed for the first time about a week ago when Shogo (baritone section leader and former member of the Santa Clara Vanguard) took us there after rehearsal. The chain's slogan is "Hamburger Is My Life," which I can totally relate to since I often feel the same way. Look at the sign in the picture below and you can see my new mantra as I was first introduced to it.



The burgers are prettttttttty good, though not my favorite item on the menu. Like a good Jew on Hanukkah, my favorite sandwich is the Pork Burger. I had had three in two days at one point.



Ok...now for karaoke. Karaoke's place in American society is fairly humble. On a given night of the week, some bars might feature a "Karaoke Night." So at this American bar, you'll sign up for a song, wait a potentially very long time for your time, and eventually get up to sing in front of lots of people you don't know.

In Japan...it's a very different beast. Now first off, this exclusively karaoke establishment is often found in a several story building with other businesses such as bowling allies, arcades,movie theatres, and - of course - bath houses (spas).

You go up to the front desk of your favorite karaoke place (ours is the "BIG ECHO") and ask for a room. The receptionist will ask if you'd like "All-You-Can-Drink Beer" for (for example) 2,000 yen (about 17 bucks).

Of course you would.

At the Big Echo, there are about 60 individual karaoke rooms to choose from. We were a group of 5...and, in our room, you could fit 10 without it getting too crowded.



They tell us to go to room 23, they hand us two microphones, six song books, and off we go!

Anytime you want beer, you push a button in your room and in the waiter comes with two huge pitchers.

Ok ok, you're in a karaoke room...you should probably sing too. So you look at the books that offer songs in Japanese, American, and Korean. You punch in the number of the song into the keypad and the fun begins!

Each room has a stage (we opted to just sing from our table) and a large screen that displays the words to the song, along with a music video (not the song's actual music video...it's usually two Japanese people doing something or another that relates to the music).

Chris and I kicked things off with a few duets. "Somewhere Out There," from An American Tale (you remember...with Fievel, the mouse) and "A Whole New World," from Aladdin were two big hits.



Some other chart toppers I performed were Coolio's "Gangsta's Paradise," Bon Jovi's "Livin' on a Prayer," and Styx' "Mr. Roboto."

We also played a game where the person to our right chose the song for us. Mike Gaines picked a Japanese song for me...which I could have managed, except that it didn't come up in Romanized Japanese (english letters)...it came up in some form of Japanese characters (Kanji or Katigana).

A lot of people would have given up at this point...but not me. I started improvising with every Japanese phrase I knew. "Kon Banwa, Konnnn Banwa, Konnn Banwaaaaaaa Nagoyyyyyya...Dommmmo Arigatttttttttoooooooo," etc etc. It was beautiful...perhaps the most emotional moment of the night.

While I was riveting, the all-sings were some of the best. Here's Jim Moore and Mike Gaines getting caught up in the moment.



Sexy Back really brought down the house! Naqi, you'll be happy to know that the part I was responsible for singing was, "Take 'em to the chorrrrrrrus," and "Bring 'em to the bridge!" Of course I have plenty of videos I can show you all when I get home.

Along with the unlimited supply of beer and songs to sing...you can also order from the extensive and affordable menu your favorite karaoke establishment offers. Of course we did, sharing a delicious (though not, NYC delicious) pepperoni pizza. Look...at this point I was just happy there was no mayonnaise on it.

I'm not sure exactly where you can find (if one even exists) a place like this in the U.S., but I'm going to be scowering the Japanese area of NYC in hopes of coming across one.

It was a blast and we're actually going with a bunch of people from Aimachi (and some former Cadets) this upcoming Saturday night after rehearsal. I can't wait!

Ok, well I'm on my way to Kyoto (the old capital of Japan) for a few days. We'll actually get to see Kikki (I marched with him in 2001, 2002, and 2003 so I'm really looking forward to this trip. Kyoto is also known for Geishas...so maybe I'll get lucky, who knows?!

I'll be sure to write when I get back! Matane (see you later)!

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

OK ok, I'll update tomorrow night...I've been busy...I'm the worst...sorry sorry sorry.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Now it's a week and you're officially the worst. I'm suffering from Zany Withdrawl : (

I realize I just missed it, but Happy Chanukah!!!!!

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home