Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Craving Pizza

Chris and I are dying for pizza. They DO have pizza in Japan...but it all either has mayonnaise, squid, or - EVEN WORSE - BAD TOMATO SAUCE!!!

One of the baritone players from Aimachi is going to Texas this weekend to audition for The Cavaliers. I gave him a note that I will write in this blog soon...it pretty much is for him to show to an American at the airport, who will then direct him to a pizza place with another part of the note to be given to the pizza man...who will then give him what we requested in the note, and then bring him to security...who will then show him what he has to do in order to pack the pizza in his bags without being arrested. It's a great note.

I'm a little nervous about Tetsu being arrested in Texas for trying to bring a whole pizza on a plane (that's my front...my real issue is that Chicago pizza is WAY better than Texas pizza) so I took the liberty of sending an email to Jeff Fiedler, director of the world-champion Cavaliers, asking for help. Here is a copy and paste of the email. Enjoy!

Mr. Fiedler,

I don't know if you remember me (especially by name), but this is Matt Haines. In 2004 I was one of the drum majors for The Cadets and in 2006 you saved the life of the corps I worked for a few times (Capital Regiment).

I'm not asking you to save any lives this time...but it's close (not really...I'm just building up for dramatic effect). We are bringing you into this mission because of the suggestion of Mitch Rogers (he's writing the drill out here).

I'm currently in Japan with the Aimachi Marching Band (they speak VERY highly of you, by the way...Mitchi and Kio say hello also). My friend Chris (also a Cadet) and I have been here since October 10th and will be here until January 17th. We're both from the New York City area which makes us huge pizza fans by default. We're craving it.

Tetsu, a baritone player with Aimachi, is auditioning for The Cavaliers in Texas this weekend. We armed him with a note from us and told him to show it to kind looking Americans at the airport. It's pretty much a step by step guide for anyone who is reading it on how to get him pizza to bring back to us. So poor Tetsu, armed only with the note and some Yen that we gave him has this very difficult mission.

Mitch had mentioned that PERHAPS someone coming from Chicago might be able to buy some pizza and bring it to Tetsu for us. Obviously we understand that you're probably UNBELIEVABLY busy going into this audition weekend. So if this is an impossible request, don't think twice about it!

HOWEVER...if someone can bring a Chicago pizza (or pizza from anywhere, honestly...but Chicago style is wonderful) to Tetsu in Texas...I would cut all ties with those lousy Cadets and become a Cavalier fan for life!

If we were to pick the pizza out ourselves we would opt for a large deep dish Giordano pizza with pepperoni and sausage. I believe Giordanos gives you the option of buying a pizza half baked or something so that it doesn't go bad. If not...we'll take our chances.

Finally...Tetsu might need some direction on how to pack a pizza into his checked luggage so he doesn't get arrested or have pizza sauce spill all over his clothes.

Again...if this can't be done, we understand! If it can be...then thank you SO much!! Tetsu has the money to give to you so all of that is covered.

If you've made it to the end of this email, then thank you so much for your time. I understand that it's especially important a few days before a camp. I hope the auditions have been going well and if you have any questions, feel free to email me back.

Thanks again!

Sincerely,
Matt Haines

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That e-mail is great! It would be awesome if you could post his response, should you get one.

8:45 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

He made fun of me a lot in 2004 and we talked a few times in 2006, so I'm hoping we're close enough that I'll at least get a response (if not a large deep dish pizza with pepperoni and sausage). :)

9:20 AM  
Blogger Alec Suttman said...

Jeff seemed like a really cool guy when I met him. But won't a deep dish coming from Chicago on a friday, be really soggy/moldy/ruined by the time it gets to japan on monday?
I don't think it's even worth it by that point...

8:05 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Alec...I challenge you to not eat American food for over nine weeks. THEN, at the end of the ninth week, reread what you wrote and tell me how STUPID "I don't think it's even worth it by that point..." sounds to you! :)

2:18 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Matt,

Hey man! I have been an avid reader of your blog and I am thoroughly entertained. It is one of my daily stops and I find my self laughing out loud many-a-time. I usually read it very late at night and I always say "I’ll post some other time", and finally here I am. The end of the season for Huntington was fantastic, they pushed all the way to the end (at least my guys did). After you left we started going to Applebee’s instead of Friday's, which I like better (and I know you would have too) because they have half price apps and 2 for 1 drinks. Whenever we would go I would ask if anyone wanted to spit the ridiculous amounts of food I was planning on getting (which all came to about $10) and nobody would. I knew that you, Matt Haynes, would have stepped up to the plate! Well when you're home and in the city, I will come in (because I work pretty close) one day and we will find Applebee’s and have mozzarella sticks coming out our ears! Speaking of work, I had my first concert with my kids on Wednesday. Everyone loved it. I was just passing by the Crossmen website and I see that you and Chris Gow are on their visual staff list http://www.yea.org/site/PageServer?pagename=crossmen_staff2
I thought you might like to know that. Haha. Holla back sometime. You can email me at simon.macvicar@gmail.com

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home