Friday, December 08, 2006

A Trip To The Promised Land

Day 2 of South Korea is almost ready for release. That entry (along with Day 3) should be available for your reading pleasure tomorrow. While you're waiting, however, I'll give you this more recent trip to take a gander at!

As you should know by now, the people I am staying with on Aikiyo belong to the Tenri religion. A recent guide on another trip I went to told me that it was a sect of Shintoism. I've never heard an actual Tenri person describe it as such (though, they speak Japanese and I speak English...so there's a reasonable chance I missed that) so I hesitate to take that as fact.

Anyway, in the Tenri religion, God "The Parent" first showed himself on October 26th, 1838 through a woman named Miki, who claims she saw the world in a new, clearer way on that day.

Sweet, check it out! This Shinto thing was pissing me off, so I decided to do some research. Straight from wikipedia...eh hem...

Tenrikyo (天理教; Tenrikyō, lit. Teaching of Divine Reason), is a religion of Japanese origin. Despite some publications, Tenrikyo has no affiliation with the Shinto religion. It was founded by a woman, Miki Nakayama, who underwent revelatory experiences from 1838 onwards. After this date she is referred to as Oyasama (lit. Honoured Mother) by followers. Tenrikyo is estimated to have about 2 million followers world-wide with 1.5 million of those in Japan.


If you're interested in reading the rest of the article...it's right here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenrikyo

If not...follow me to pictures of food and childish antics!



So we usually have a quick prayer service at Aikiyo at about 7:30AM. By 7:55 we're done and on a bus out of Handa City (on average about 25 people from Aikiyo make the trek). We were told they usually go about once or twice a year to Tenri City, however this year is a special anniversary or some sort so they go more often. This is actually Chris and my second trip.

We make a stop at the Aimachi church (also Tenri) in Nagoya to pick up another 25 people or so from there. If you check out the blog entry from the day we did that massive group cleaning...those are pictures of the Aimachi church.

Once at Aimachi, we do another quick prayer session. I wish I could get a picture or video of the prayers (we do them twice a day at Aikiyo) because of how unique they are. There's dancing and hand gestures and singing and the playing of ancient instruments...but I'm not sure I'll ever feel comfortable leaving the prayer and taking a picture. Who knows, maybe I'll just ask before I leave.

Anyway, here's a statue of Coz' father.



Apparently he was a very high ranking member of the Tenri religion. 4:00PM is hwen he died, and everyday there is a special service/cleaning at that time. I've heard that he was known for his ability to heal by touch. They say that he could touch someone in a wheel chair and they could walk again.

Well...I can touch my tounge to the tip of my nose!

One of my favorite parts about going on this trip is the boxed lunch they give you. I know I've been ragging on Japanese pizza on here lately, but LET ME TELLLLL YOU! Japanese boxed lunches absolutely kick the shit out of American boxed lunches.



I'm not sure if there is a specific name to this style of serving, but some of the fancier meals I've had here have been in a similar way (though not boxed). At the Kamikoche mountains in Nagano, for example, we had at least 20 plates of smaller food portions. These boxed lunches are the same kind of thing...kind of like a box of chocolates or something. Look at something...not sure what it is...try it...like it...but still not sure what it is...move to the next thing. Actually during the first Tenri trip, the box was split into nine segments! It felt like I was looking at a Japanese food spinoff of the Brady Bunch.

*singing* "And there was this piece of shrimp that loved this sushi."

The trip there is a really scenic one! The one thing I remember about Japan from history classes was Terrace Farming. Ms. Belli, this one goes out to you.





Of course, the heart and soul of Tenri City is its Church.



The picture above is of Team Thaimerica (aka The Unbelievables...see massive ice cream-eating entry for details) with Keizo Son and his wife (who makes the best curry I've ever had) in front of the main church (where God first showed himself according to Tenri beliefs).

The next picture is of Palm, Lung (that's funny...I didn't realize they both had names that are body parts in the english language), and myself on our way towards the church during the first Tenri trip a few months ago!



Here's Mate and I from the first trip.



And here's the entire Aikiyo/Aimachi crew during this past trip. *singing* "Which one of these, is not like the other!"



Annnnnd here we are in front of the gated off area where Miki (founder of the religion, mentioned above).



Since people live at the Tenri complex all year long (some of them are actually in the Aimachi Band with me), they have many schools, a university, and a pretty lengthy shopping strip. I think the strip is probably for the hoards of Tenri visitors that come each day. Like so...



Tenri is a piece of the city of Nara which is a very beautiful area. There are some great views all around the complex.





On the way home we usually watch some Aimachi Band videos and also play this interactive video version of BINGO. Let me tell you...I consider myself a lucky guy...EXCEPT when it comes to BINGO. Between both trips, we've probably played about 5 games of BINGO. Each game, out of the 50 people on the bus...35 win prizes. I'VE NEVER WON A #%@#!#%@#%! PRIZE! I'm pretty sure everyone has at least won SOMETHING in most of the games.

Here's a shot from BINGO on the first trip. I was on fire...There were like six differents that could be called for me to win and NOBODY else had gotten BINGO yet. At least 25 other people won before the game was over...none of those six numbers were called. I never came that close to winning BINGO again.


The last time, Chris fell asleep while he was playing so I picked up his card and tried to play for him. By then I had already developed a reputation for losing at this God-forsaken game...so when I yelled BINGO everyone was so excited for me. Until I pointed to Chris. You could tell everyone was feeling for me in that "Oh dear...this is the most pathetic boy I've ever seen in my life," kind of way.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

1838

12:51 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Nice typo catch, that was very Gordon Henderson of you! :)

In fact, I'm suprised you haven't been sending me five page emails on how to make the blog better. :)

Just as I IMMEDIATELY fixed your suggested corrections at Capital Regiment, I will correct the typo!

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

watch those family jewels, love mom

10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home