Wednesday, November 22, 2006

"I am the suck."

After a game of baseball, Palm (from Thailand) - who struck out four times that game - was in the bathroom. He was a little more quiet than usual so I asked him what was wrong.

"I am the suck."



I share with you that story because some would say I should be declaring "I am the suck." after my recent spell of infrequent blogging.

I'm sorry, baby.

You accept...let's move on.

I have lots to catch you up on with pictures and what not...but first...here's a few interesting conversations I've had recently.

One day Chris, myself, and Mitchi (23 years old...lives on Aikiyo...lots of pictures of him in my blog) got onto the topic of World War II.



It was kind of one of those topics we weren't sure how to approach. I love history...but I, of course, realize that American history books might be SLIGHTLY biased towards...well...America.

So when it comes to Pearl Harbor and the dropping of the nuclear bombs on Japan...I always wondered how much of the story I was getting.

Ok, so we were talking about World War II and I was explaining how I would be really interested to having him kind of help me translate that part of a Japanese history book so I could see what they had learned. Eventually Chris just asked him, "So...based on what you know, what do you think of Japan and America in World War II?"

Mitchi thought for a few seconds and replied, "It is hard for me to say what was good and what was bad then...or if the (nuclear) bombs were all a good thing or a bad thing...but Japan and America have a great relationship now and that is a great thing."

A few days ago I asked Hatchan if she knew of anyone I could talk to about World War II.



I told her I understood if it was a touchy subject and I didn't want to upset anyone, but if someone was interested in talking to me about it, it would mean a lot.

She said she thinks she could find someone and that she would love to hear the conversation and could be the translator. Hopefully that will pan out.

Ok, now completely unrelated...I was talking to Kimio (a snare drummer who marched Cavaliers in 2002) for awhile last night. He was saying how nice everyone thinks Chris and I are and how it's such a change from some of the Americans that came last year. He said that they always seemed so selfish.

I had heard that a bunch of times since I have been here, so I said the same thing I said every other time. "Everyone is SO nice to us and always trying to care of things for us, I don't understand how someone could possibly be selfish under those conditions. Chris and I feel like that everyone is always thinking of us, we are trying so hard to find ways to help out our give back to all of you."

One of the really cool things I'm learning here is that, even though it's the other side of the world, and even though a different language is spoken, or they sit on the ground sometimes when they eat, or they dance when they pray and we sit...it's all the same. We choose a different method of doing something...but what we're trying to get done is always the same.

When I said that to Kimio, he pointed out something that I feel IS a difference. Now remember...this is life on Aikiyo as part of the Tenri religion and not Japan as a whole. Also...just like this is a subculture of Japan, there are subcultures in America that share similar values.

He said, "Matt, that is such a Tenri way to think of things. All we have is eachother. We HAVE to take care of one another. We're all a family."

On Aikiyo, this is such a primary value in my life. In America...it's a sign of weakness. On Aikiyo, they hope to live on or within a bike ride of Aikiyo for the rest of their lives. In America, when I lived at home between the end of tour and before leaving for Japan...anytime someone asked me "So where are you staying right now?" I was almost embarrassed to say "At my parents house." And I ALWAYS had to qualify it with "But it's only for five weeks until I go to Japan...it wouldn't make any sense for me to rent a place for five weeks. Did I mention I'm moving to New York City all by myself when I get back?"

I'm not trying to say one way is better than the other, because I don't believe that. I like being on my own! It can be an exciting way to live! The Tenri people seem to have a way that works too, though. :)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

second

-Alec

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home