Saturday, December 02, 2006

Choto....HIAY!

Well...I almost had Day 2 in South Korea finished before the internet spazzed out on me.

SO...that is going to have to wait until much later tonight to do again.

In the meantime, I'll just give you a short update.

About a week ago I got my first Japanese haircut. Nothing INCREDIBLY exciting...though it was a tough thing to communicate.



"Choto" means "a little" so I was trying to tell the barber that I only wanted a little bit cut.

Matt: "Choto."

Barber: "Choto...HIAY!" (Hiay means yes...and the Japanese tend to scream it rather than say it) Putting his index finger and thumb very close to eachother and sitting them right on top of his head.

Matt: "Hiay." errr...I mean..."HIAY!!"

Wait a second...does he know I want "choto" CUT OFF...or does he think I want "choto" left on my head.

Oh god...hmmmm.

Matt: "Choto..." *makes a cutting motion with middle and index fingers* "Cutto...??"

Oh god.

Barber: *Confused look...smiles...* "Choto...HIAY!" *makes the same gesture he made a few seconds ago with his index finger and thumb.

Matt: defeated "hiay..."




Welp...it was maybe a little shorter than I would have liked...but all things considering, it was a pretty solid haircut. The back was a little funky, but with Chris' help, the barber was eventually guided to what I was looking for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home