Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Hajime Mashte, Matt odes

Hajime mashte, Matt odes.
(Nice to meet you, I am Matt.)

I have no idea if that's how I should write it (or if there's even a correct way to write Japanese with english language characters)...BUT I have officially spoken my first Japanese phrase! They even clapped for me when I used it for the first time in real context!

Ok, so I landed in Nagoya about an hour and a half ago. I was greeted by four members of the Aimachi band (3 drummers and a colorguard member, all my age and all staying in the same "dorm house" that Chris and I are).

The good news is that they speak great english. Though, they started laughing because they said my english was very fast. I told them that, right now, my Japanese would be "verrrrrry slow." (or completely nonexistent)

The bad news...well there's really none yet. I can't memorize Japanese names very well so I've tried and failed on the four of them about three times so far.

I was offered 200 bucks and a free hotel stay in San Francisco if I gave up my flight until tomorrow. I was thinking about it, but I didn't want to completely inconvenience everyone in Japan. Turns out it's only a 10 minute drive to the airport (and they were picking up Chris and myself separately anyways) so it wouldn't have been an inconvenience at all. Oh well...I guess I didn't really NEED that 200 bucks (I'm lying).

Ok, well I need to figure out this whole different power voltage thing...then I can start posting pictures and such. I've got rehearsal in a few hours...too bad I decided to watch 3 1/2 movies on the plane instead of sleeping. I didn't sleep at all in New York last night, slept the entire way from New York to San Francisco, and then only slept two hours from San Francisco to Nagoya. It's 5AM in New York right now, so it feels kind of normal...though I'm sure when rehearsal is done in about six and a half hours, I'll be feeling not so "normal."

I'll try to post again then, though, so you get the full effect! We're off to get Chris in about 13 minutes, so goodbye for now...have a great day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home