Monday, October 09, 2006

America...F#%@ YEAH!

Alright, I'm back and ready to update you on my last few days in the good 'ol
U S of A.

Saturday was actually the first day off I've had since...June 1st. It was awesome and LAZY for the first half of the day. I got up at 10...watched the movie Elf...went for a run...took a shower...played some trombone...and watched Simon Birch. I forgot how much I loved that movie! Actually, the first time I saw it was back in high school on a date. We get to the part where the mom gets hit by the foul ball and I start cracking up in the theater!! It just made me laugh...until I realized she was dead...apparently everyone else realized she was going to die much sooner than I did...

All of the fall foliage shots in the movie made me VERY excited to see what Autumn in Japan is going to look like. I honestly don't know much about the area I'm staying except that it's right next to Mount Fuji. The foliage is GREAT in the Appalachian Mountains, so I can only hope.

Saturday night was much busier! I went to dinner with my family at an Italian Restaurant with INCREDIBLY large portions. The food was great, but they had a recording of Old Blue Eyes playing incredibly loud in the background. I didn't mind...but when your mom and grandma are both unofficially deaf...it gets rough.

Frank Sinatra (at maxed out volume): NEW YORK, NEWWWWW YOOOOORRRRRKKKKKK
Grandma: I used to like listening to him...





Later that night, Alessandra came to say goodbye to me alllll the way from Washington D.C. So I picked her up from the train station and we ventured to Nassau County to go check out a comedy club.



3 1/2 hours of sleep later, I dropped Alessandra back off at the train station and made my way to Huntington High School for some marchin' bannnnnddd. The show was in Arlington (upstate New York) so we had a nice two and a half drive there. Speaking of fall foliage, the drive made me remember Ithaca and how beautiful upstate New York could be in October!



After the show, Joan and Noel took me out to dinner for some more Italian and, after that, I met up with original Best Friends Forever member - Chris Taborsky.



Columbus Day was my second day off since June 1st. I woke up at NOON!! Went for a great hour and 15 minute run, kicked the snot out of Naqi in racquetball, played trombone, got a haircut, and then hung out with Tom and Naqi for a bit.




NOW...I'm packing. I'm doing my best to stay awake tonight so that I can sleep like a baby on the plane. I've equipped myself with Japanese language learning programs (thanks Naqi), a few books (thanks Grandma and Alexis), and a few movies (thanks Mom...though she doesn't know I'm taking them yet) to help me get through the grueling 22 hours of travel!

Alright...the real journey begins in about three hours when I leave for JFK airport. If they have a wireless signal at the San Francisco or Nagoya airports, I'll write a quick post.

Sayoonara! (one word down...the rest of the language to go)

2 Comments:

Blogger LLJessR said...

I hope you enjoy your 2 hours in San Francisco!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

I have arrived! Sorry I couldn't stay in San Francisco longer...but January 17th will be a great day!

Thanks for the comments!

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home