Friday, October 06, 2006

The Pottery Barn Era is OVER

YO!

So it was a pretty great day! My last shift at Pottery Barn for Kids has come and gone with much success. My supervisor was sitting in the back room watching Silent Hill most of the time I was there so, in between stock checks, I decided to join him.

The best part of Da' Barn (I started calling it that, but the name isn't sticking)is that it's helping me get over my fear of heights. I made some HUGE strides this summer on scaffolding and scissor lifts. Climbing up and down huge racks of kiddie ovens, shams, rugs, and other over-priced child toys, is continuing to force me to confront my phobia on a daily basis.





After I came home from PBK (the more common nickname), I went for a nice one hour and fifteen minute run around the town of Holbrook. I've been getting pretty heavy into my marathon training lately. It's actually a lot harder this time around because

1.) I'm training for a faster pace on race day.

2.) I'm training by myself (way more of a mental challenge).

The race is towards the end of March in Virginia Beach. A bunch of Cadets are going to be running, so come check us out!

Next up, I went to go see The Departed with Naqi and Tom. The last two movies Tom picked were Beer Fest (stupid funny) and Beer League (AWFUL)....so I was little skeptical to go with Tom's choice. However, The Departed was AWESOME! Usually I'm not the kind of guy who is like "Sweet, there's so much killing in this movie!" But with an all-star cast like this, every murder is memorable. :) Definitely the best movie I've seen in awhile.

Then we went to KFC, where I created mass hysteria by substituting several items in the mixed bucket meal. The drunk behind me was like, "So are you going to put...SUGAR...on those biscuits...HAH!" I don't know what that means, but I tried to humor him with, "Well, nah, but maybe some extra butter or something."

Enter drunkard's witty retort. "PSSSHH...YEAHHH."

One day I was watching a clip on "YouTube" of the Off-Broadway production, "Jewtopia." In one of the scenes, the Jew is telling the Gentile that if he wants to act Jewish, one of the skills he needs to master is the incredible ability to "take any item on the menu and substitute and distort it so much that it becomes COMPLETELY UNRECOGNIZABLE."

I didn't realize that was a trait of Judaism but...GUILTY.

The night was capped off watching the Yankees shit all over themselves in Detroit.

The Japan preparation has been an ongoing process. Chris Gow and I have two very different styles. He likes to worry about everything that can go wrong at immigration, while I just prefer to think about all of the people who were much more ill-prepared than I and STILL somehow got into the country.

Last time I went to England, the Customs' guy flipped out on me when I didn't have an address (who knew I needed an address!) :)

"So YOU'RE just going to com SHOEe into MY country and not tell me where you're going??? If I tried to pull that stunt in America, they'd make me put my arms out so they could pat me down! Do you want me to pat you down? They'd make me walk through a metal detector...THEY'D MAKE ME TAKE OF MY SHOES!!! TAKE OFF YOUR SHOES!!!"

He was crazy...I took off my shoes...but I don't think he really wanted me to.

Anyway...I have an address this time. And a phone number. And the name of the person's house we're staying at. There is one minor problem, however. We're going to be in the country for 101 days. The maximum you can be in Japan without an extended Visa is 90 days. To circumvent this disaster, Aimachi is buying us a ticket to Seoul, South Korea for a day in November. They'll pay for our hotel and sight seeing and all of that. Not too shabby.

Welp, that's all for now. I'm going "out east" with my family tomorrow, then to the city tomorrow night with Alessandra. Should be fun, but I may have to miss a day of blogging. So sorry.

Have a great night and a stellar weekend!

4 Comments:

Blogger LLJessR said...

ARRG!!!! I feel so left out of the adventures of Matt Haines. I'll patiently wait till January 17th, when you will pass through my city... Until then, I will cry myself to sleep every night!

1:58 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

Jess, I was going to call and give you the good news. I'm going to be in San Francisco for like 7 1/2 hours on January 17th! That's a pretty good amount of time!

10:10 PM  
Blogger LLJessR said...

BEST NEWS EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

What kind of food do you love?!?!

4:09 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

After being in Japan for over 3 months, I'm probably NOT going to be in the mood for fish (particularly any uncooked varieties) when I get back. :)

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home