Sunday, November 05, 2006

They call me Farmer Matto.

A few important details I have left out.

1.) Every Japanese letter is actually a syllable...as opposed to an individual letter. "Matt," being only one syllable, is too short. To remedy this, I am referred to by the Japanese as Matto. I'd write it for you in Japanese...but I'm not sure that my computer has the capabilities to do so.

2.) The weather here is incredible. It's like...low 70's or high 60's every day. It's rained for a grand total of about three hours since Chris and I have been here. Perfect.

So, as I've mentioned, Chris and I usually do some work around Aikiyo in the mornings/early afternoons. It's currently harvest time and Aimachi owns a large area of a farm. This means that during the last week or so we've been spending many a morning picking potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, eggplant, peanuts, radishes, oranges, peppers, etc etc etc. It's kind of cool seeing the process happen right in front of you. We pick the peppers in the morning, during the afternoon I see some of the women cleaning the peppers, and at night...I'm eating the peppers. Oishi cata.




This isn't the first time I've worn this hat while in Japan. One day we were driving a small dihatsu thingy around Aichiyo (we were moving some supplies around the complex). I was standing up in the back with the hat on, swinging around a self-made lasso yelling "Yee-haw," and trying to rope some Thai people.



I had no idea that peanuts came from the ground. I don't know...I guess I never really thought about where they came from...Mr. Peanut took care of the hard stuff and I just opened up the can. But yup...you pull them out of the ground. Like so.



A nice shot of a bunch of the farm and its lake. The farm is about a three minute walk from Aichiyo.



Mate, myself, and Palm feasting on peppers.



Mitchi (2003, 2004, 2005 Cavaliers Tenor...2005 center Tenor), a tangerine, and myself. We were just eating them from the trees.

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Take it to 'da bridge.

6:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home