Thursday, November 02, 2006

Some random fun around Aichiyo (which I was previously spelling incorrectly as Ikeo)

Ok, this picture uploading thing is still being a pain, but I'm figuring out ways around it. I'm so far behind with this blog, I figured I would just do a series of entries that just kind of show a little of what I've been up to.

I'll post some more text on some other entries describing some of the more significant trials and tribulations!

But...here's some random fun!

About a week into being here we discovered that sports were a common bond amongst the guys on Aichiyo. Here's a picture of us playing some volleyball (an early popular favorite). Volleyball was the fad for a few days before Chris and I taught the Thai guys how to play dodgeball. Dodgeball was taken over by Japanese dodgeball (WAY more exciting and terrifying than American dodgeball). Nowadays, the two favorites are baseball and soccer. We're pretty much playing soccer (about 12 to 14 people each game) almost every single night after rehearsal. The call me "The Truck" because I'm notorious for screaming as I run people over while they go after the ball.

Chris and I play hard, but we SUCK compared to most of the Japanese and Thais. I can't believe some of the stuff they do...I'm getting better, though!





Here's a picture from week number two for Yuko's birthday. Chris and I rode our bikes to a bakery and bought her a cake. Everyone in this picture is a former member of The Cadets. There are four other Cadets in Aimachi that just didn't make it into the picture.



Another favorite activity is to go do some bowling. There's a building in Handa City that has a movie theatre, bowling alley, karaoke, slots, and pachinko. Here's a picture of my team during one our games. To my right is Michi (from Japan, marched Cavaliers...center quad...unbelievably helpful in answering any questions Chris and I have). To my left are Junt (from Thailand...Aimachi Drum Major for the last three years) and Lung (from Thailand...third year tuba player...Lung is his nickname, which translates into "Uncle". He was called Uncle as a baby, because his face has pretty much looked exactly the same since before he was a year old...Uncle). In front of me is Palm (also from Thailand...lead trumpet player...not very good at sports, but good at trumpet and supposedly good at video games).




This was taken one of the most bizarre days of my time in Japan. We were told that Coz was taking us out. We had NO idea where we were going, but we got in the car. We drive about an hour away and have no clue where we've gone. We get out of the car and enter a huge building with lots of exhibits. It kind of looks like a giant science fair from when you're in elementary school or something. Coz says "meet back here in two hours" and he leaves. It's all in Japanese. We don't read Japanese...the Thai people don't ready Japanese...beats me.

Anyways...outside they are letting people test drive this very small car. I ask if I can...the man doesn't speak english. He says something...I don't speak Japanese. The hand signals aren't working well...so I just get in the car. He gestures for me to start it...I have no idea how (this car is WAY different from your average car, as you can see). He eventually starts it for me and off I go!



This picture was taken at the Robot Museum in Nagoya city. This is one of the most famous superheroes in ALL of Japan! Next to him is Atom Boy. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home